Curriculum Intent Overview
The curriculum at St Mark’s is an interesting blend of those subjects which fulfil the national curriculum and those areas of experience which we consider essential for our students. Our students are expected to follow a broad and balanced curriculum throughout Key Stages 3 and 4. This is reviewed annually and subject to change.
Read the document here:
Key Stage 3
All students follow courses in:
- Core subjects: English, Mathematics and Science
- Technology: Computing, Resistant Materials, Graphic Design, Textiles, Food Technology and Art and Design
- Modern Foreign Language: Students will study either French or Spanish throughout Key Stage 3.
- Humanities: History, Geography and Religious Education. In Year 7 students will study a combined Humanities course
- Creative Arts: Music and Drama. In Year 7, students will study a combined performing arts course.
- Physical Education: Gymnastics and Games
- Personal, Social and Health Education: includes careers education and citizenship
Key Stage 4
Students study from a range of curriculum areas and are encouraged to avoid early specialisation when selecting their options. The KS4 curriculum is reviewed annually to take into account developments in subject examinations, government guidelines and the context of the cohort of students in Year 9. Parents and students are provided with up to date information and guidance when ready to choose options.
The general pattern of study is as follows:
- English Language and English Literature
- Science, Double Award and Triple Science for the most able, which also includes an extra GCSE in Statistics
- Religious Education (full course GCSE) including a comprehensive PSHE course
- Core PE
Students then select three subjects from three different options blocks (not all of the subjects below will run and are subject to demand, staffing and viability)
- Technology: Food & Nutrition, Computing and creative i-Media
- Humanities/Social Sciences: Geography, History and Health and Social Care and Business
- Modern Foreign Languages: French and Spanish (from September 2021 subject to demand, staffing and viability)
- Creative/Expressive Arts: Art, Drama, Music and Physical Education
Key Stage 5
For further information on our Key Stage 5 offering, please see: Studying at the New Sixth
For further information on the subjects offered at St Mark’s School, please see our Subject Pages